WashU faculty and staff travel internationally for a wide variety of reasons. If you are planning a trip abroad as an individual faculty or staff member, the information in this section will enhance your safety, reduce risks, and prepare you for a seamless journey.
- Read the WashU Travel Policy for individual faculty or staff travel.
- Check to see if there are Travel Suspension Conditions in the area you would like to travel.
- If there are suspension conditions but you’d still like to pursue travel there, you may file a petition for exception for ITOC to grant permission.
- Review the list of restricted countries where embargo and sanction programs restrict transactions.
- Review Export Control concerns and policies for international travelers.
- Register your travel using MyTrips International Travel Registry.
- Review your international health insurance coverage.
- Provided automatically to all faculty and staff traveling abroad for university business purposes. Clinical fellows, residents, and postdoctoral research fellows must enroll in the student insurance policy.
- Review the International SOS Emergency Assistance plan.
- Print a membership card once you log in and keep it handy.
- Review Summary of WashU Global Health and Travel Assistance Services.
- Review Export Control concerns and technology considerations for international travelers.
- Register with your local embassy.
- Review immunization information.
- Some immunizations require a series of immunizations before achieving immunity. Faculty and staff should make an appointment with their doctor or travel clinic.
- Check travel documents (passports and visas).
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months after your planned return. Check the consulate of the country you are visiting to determine whether you need to obtain a visa to enter the country. Visa requirements vary depending on your citizenship, purpose, and duration of your stay in the country.
- Review WashU policies and guidance for international travel, work, and research.
Additional Resources for Planning and Preparing for travel
Ahead of travel
- Download the International SOS Emergency Assistance app.