Traveling as part of group or leading a group of students on a trip requires extra preparation and internal approvals. Review the list of steps below to make sure your trip is in compliance.
Travel Safety Memo – Israel-Gaza Conflict
Due to the ongoing violence in Israel and Gaza, please note the following: The university has added Israel, The West Bank, and Gaza to the ITOC Travel Suspension Conditions list.
- Read the WashU Travel Policy.
- Submit a Safety Plan for Group Travel (PDF) to ITOC for the trip to be approved.
- Check to see if there are Travel Suspension Conditions in the area you would like to travel.
- If there are suspension conditions but you’d still like to pursue travel there, you may file a petition for exception for ITOC to grant permission.
- Review the list of restricted countries where embargo and sanction programs restrict transactions.
- Review Export Control concerns and policies for international travelers.
Related Policies and Guidance
- Register your travel using MyTrips International Travel Registry.
- Review your international health insurance coverage.
- Review the International SOS Emergency Assistance plan.
- Print a membership card once you log in and keep it handy.
- Review Summary of WashU Global Health and Travel Assistance Services.
- Review Export Control concerns and technology considerations for international travelers.
- Register with your local embassy.
- Review immunization information.
- Some immunizations require a series of immunizations before achieving immunity. If you are a WashU student, contact Student Health Services as soon as you know you will be traveling abroad.
- Faculty/Staff should make an appointment with their doctor or travel clinic.
- Check travel documents (passports and visas).
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months after your planned return. Check the consulate of the country you are visiting to determine whether you need to obtain a visa to enter the country. Visa requirements vary depending on your citizenship, purpose, and duration of your stay in the country.
Additional Resources for Planning and Preparing for travel
Ahead of travel
- Download the International SOS Emergency Assistance app.