Request a visit
If you are planning to host visiting dignitaries/foreign delegations on campus, please email firstname.lastname@example.org a minimum of four weeks ahead of time with the following information:
- Names and affiliations of international visitors
- Purpose of visit
- Proposed date and length of visit
- Provisional agenda/requested meetings
Include email@example.com within the above email communication for visitors affiliated with, or a foreign national from China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, Russia, Belarus, and more recently Crimea, Donetsk, and Luhansk regions of Ukraine, to complete restricted party screenings and determine if a control plan needs to be established.
Before agreeing to host a delegation
Coordinate the visit with the office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education and International Affairs in the following circumstances:
- The visit involves senior leadership from international peer universities or government organizations that have significant existing partnerships with WashU.
- The delegation involves high-ranking government officials representing country leadership or there is a request to meet with senior leadership at WashU.
If any foreign individuals or entities will receive direct payments from WashU, including honoraria or expense reimbursements, please see Foreign Payees. Note also that many visa statuses prohibit the holder from receiving payments, including many diplomatic visas. It is important to understand the rules before promising payment to guests.
In instances in which limitations or restrictions need to be established for the delegation related to export controls, the Export Control Officer will work with you to develop an appropriate plan. Typically, plans include limiting or restricting access to specific equipment, technology, or information along with tracking of any gifts.
Whenever possible, delegations should visit WashU’s campus during the academic year, avoiding holidays during which faculty and staff may have limited availability to meet.