To better assist faculty, staff and students in emergencies or times of crisis while traveling, please  learn more about:

Before You Go…

  1. Register Your International Travel: Access the WashU-MyTrips International Travel Registry (required if university sponsored or supported funds are used).
  2. Review the WashU Travel Policy: You may need to submit a Travel Proposal. View the Travel Policy and Travel Proposal guidelines.
  3. STUDENTS: Review your International Health Insurance Coverage — GeoBlue Students (purchase is required for all undergraduate students and some graduate programs; strongly recommended for all graduate students). WashU Group Access Code for students is KXW-37937.
  4. FACULTY AND STAFF: Review your International Health Insurance Coverage — GeoBlue Health Insurance (provided automatically to all benefits-eligible faculty, staff, clinical fellows and postdoctoral research appointees traveling abroad for university business purposes). Register with GeoBlue to access full array of benefits and resources. WashU Group Access Code for faculty/staff is QHG99999WUBT.
  5. Review International SOS Emergency Travel Assistance Service Plan: International SOS provides emergency medical evacuation and political security/natural disaster evacuation services for all WashU full-time students and all WashU benefits-eligible faculty, staff, clinical fellows and postdoctoral research appointees traveling abroad for university purposes. The WashU Membership number is 11BSGC000032 and can be utilized on the International SOS home page. Print a membership card once you log in and keep it handy.
  6. Review Summary of WashU Global Health and Travel Assistance Services: See a summary matrix.
  7. Review the Export Control Resource page, Export Control, and the Export Control international travel page.  If you are taking any technology with you beyond a laptop and cell phone, or if you are traveling to a sanctioned country (including Iran and Cuba), contact the Export Control Manager, Laura Langton at or at 314-747-1378.
  8. Register with Your Local Embassy: U.S. citizens or green card holders can register with local U.S. Embassies through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Also view U.S. Department of State travel warnings.
  9. Review Immunization Information: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers health and immunization information for travelers. Some immunizations require a series of immunizations before achieving immunity. If you are a WashU student, contact Student Health Services as soon as you know you will be traveling abroad. Faculty/Staff should make an appointment with their doctor or travel clinic.
  10. Check Travel Documents (Passport and Visa): Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months after your planned return. Check the consulate of the country you are visiting to determine whether you need to obtain a visa to enter the country. Visa requirements vary depending on your citizenship, purpose, and duration of your stay in the country.
  11. In an Emergency Abroad: In case of emergency, contact WashU Police Department (WUPD) at +1-314-935-5555. WUPD will mobilize the WashU Emergency Management Team to assist you.
  12. Additional International Travel Resources