Innovative Approaches to Address Nutritional Challenges in Sub-Saharan Africa
September 10 │ 4:30-5:30 PM│ Brown Lounge, Brown Hall, Room 2018
Join us for a conversation with WashU faculty on their current work in Africa. This event will foster learning and offer opportunities for collaboration.
- Lora Iannotti, Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Public Health, Brown School
- Carolyn Lesorogol, PhD, Professor and Associate Dean for Global Strategy and Programs, Brown School
- Mark Manary, MD, Helene B. Roberson Professor of Pediatrics, School of Medicine
For more information and to RSVP, please visit
Africa Speak 2019/2020 Lineup
- October 15, 2019: “Emerging Research Priorities and Identifying Funding Opportunities for Africa-Focused Engagements” featuring Elvin Geng and Kim Thuy Seelinger.
- November 14, 2019: “Human Rights, Gender and Health Implications in Africa” featuring Leila Sadat and Carolyn Sargent.
- November 21, 2019: Keynote Address: “The Challenges of Educating Physicians for the Future of Africa” presented by Rev. Professor Patrick F. Ayeh-Kumi, Provost, College of Health Sciences, University of Ghana.
- February 11, 2020: “Advancing Research, Practice and Academic Capacities in Africa” featuring David Clifford, Mungai Mutonya and Daniel Mamah.
- March 10, 2020: “Women’s Reproductive Health and Economic Empowerment: Lessons from Low Resource Settings” featuring Lewis Wall, Jessica Levy and Mary Ruppert-Stroescu.
- April 7, 2020: “Political Trends, Governance and Implications for Public Health in Africa” featuring Shanti Parikh and Bronwen Konecky.
- April 16 – 17, 2020: “Global Health and Infectious Disease Conference”
- May 12, 2020: “Environmental Risk Factors and Conservation Efforts: Implications for Public Health in Sub-Saharan Africa” featuring Brad Racette and Fiona Marshall
AFRICA INITIATIVE EVENTS – ARCHIVED
Events | 2019
The Inaugural Africa Initiative Meeting was held at Brown Lounge, where a panel discussion “Engaging in Africa: Lessons Learned” was held.
Africa Initiative Inaugural Meeting
April 23 │ 4:OO-5:30 PM│ Brown Lounge, Room 218 in Brown Hall
Prominent speakers at the event will include Chancellor Mark Wrighton and Dean Mary McKay and will feature a panel discussion, titled: Engaging in Africa: Lessons Learned.
For more about this event, please visit: AFRICA INITIATIVE INAUGURAL MEETING EVENT.
Cocktail Party at the Zoo
April 24 │ 5:00-8:00 PM │ St. Louis Zoo – River Camp
Learn about Wash U’s Researchers and Conservationists in Africa! The event will be hosted by the Living Earth Collaborative, in partnership with the Africa Initiative.
For more information about this event, please visit LIVING EARTH COLLABORATIVE.
Events | 2018
Africa Initiative Faculty Briefings
Nov 7 | 3-4 PM | Brown Lounge, Room 218 in Brown Hall
Nov 8 | 3-4 PM | Lobby Conference Room, Room 15145 – 15th floor Northwest Tower
Africa Initiative Faculty Briefing Alternates
Nov 12 | 8-9 AM | Lobby Conference Room, Room 15145 – 15thfloor Northwest Tower
Nov 13 | 8-9 AM | Brown Lounge, Room 218 in Brown Hall
Africa Initiative Student Briefing
Nov 15 | 12-1 PM | Goldfarb Hall, Room 333A
U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria at Washington University
Stuart Symington, U.S. ambassador to Nigeria gave a lecture, “A Transatlantic Partnership of Global Importance,” in Knight Hall’s Emerson Auditorium on the Danforth Campus on October 1. Read more about Symington’s visit to Washington University at The Source.
You can watch the recorded live stream at the link below.