Established in 1922 as a technical school, Makerere University is one of the oldest and most prestigious English Universities in Africa. Originally named Uganda Technical College, it opened its doors to students studying carpentry, building, and mechanics.
The College soon began offering various other courses in medical care, agriculture, veterinary sciences, and teacher training. It expanded over the years to become a Center for Higher Education in East Africa in 1935. In 1937, the College began offering post-school certificate courses. In 1949, it became a University College affiliated with the University College of London, offering courses leading to the general degrees of its then mother institution.
Makerere became an independent national university of the Republic of Uganda in 1970, offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Makerere University offers programs to a student body of 35,000 undergraduates and 3,000 postgraduates (both Ugandan and international). It is also a very active center for research.
Makerere University officially transformed into a Collegiate University in 2011 with nine constituent colleges, adding the School of Law in 2014.
The strategic plan seeks to transform Makerere University into a more research-intensive university and enhance relevance to the community and consolidate Makerere’s position as Uganda’s engine of development.