Chulalongkorn University is Thailand’s first institution of higher education.
Originally a school for the training of government officials, the university now promotes the development of graduate education, research, conservation and cultural and academic service to the public.
When it was first founded in 1917, the university had 380 students taking classes in four faculties located on 2 campuses. From 1934 to 1958, the university emphasized improvement of undergraduate education; thus, more faculties were established. In 1961, the university established the Graduate School followed by research centers and institutes.