35 Premier universities united to address the world’s most critical problems of the 21st century at the McDonnell Academy 7th International Symposium, cohosted by Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, October 11-14, 2018.
The meeting created space for joint investigation on complex global issues, drawing on a diversity of perspectives from multiple countries and disciplines. It offered a unique opportunity to engage and connect with leading scholars and experts from around the world.
The summary below provides an overview of the value and impact of the Symposium and highlights collaborative accomplishments and key outcomes.
The Symposium convened presidents, faculty and graduate students from the Academy’s partner institutions to discuss new approaches to research and education in three thematic areas:
- Agriculture, Food & Water
- Energy & Environment
- Public Health & Aging
Symposium Key Photo Highlights
Additional Photos Available:
- OCT 11: EXECUTIVE WORKSHOP | OPENING SESSION | MCDONNELL SCHOLAR & ALUMNI SESSION
- OCT 11: PRESIDENTS RECEPTION & DINNER
- OCT 12: TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY SESSIONS
- OCT 13: 3MT® COMPETITION | PRESIDENTS FORUM | SUSTAINABILITY DECLARATION
- OCT 13: CLOSING GALA | 3MT® WINNERS | JAMES & MARY WERTSCH FELLOWSHIP
OPENING Keynote Speaker
DR. JOHN P. HOLDREN | Science Advisor to President Barack Obama
Plenary and lecture sessions were held at the Grand Hyatt Beijing, and workshops were hosted on Tsinghua University’s campus.